Friday, June 12, 2009

Neighbourhood meeting, June 10

On June 10th, a large group of friends and neighbours (more than 100) met at Trinity United Church to gather information about the proposed surplussing of the Victoria Glen Park woods and to discuss what we can do to preserve the woods as parkland. (If you would like to help, phone 669-3426).

Some of the comments from that meeting:

"I think 'surplus green-space' is the biggest oxymoron I have ever heard!"

"I would like all the members of Township Council to come with me at 5:30 in the morning every day for a week and walk through the forest, just to feel the peace."

"Since we, the tax-payers, are the actual owners of that woods, what value that is greater than the natural woods can the Township Council ensure us we will get by selling it?"

"There are environmental and historical and water issues, but on top of that it is just plain wrong to even consider cutting down that woods."

"I've counted 39 species of birds in the woods during the summer, and more than 50 species during the spring and fall migrations. This woods is a special place."

"The only owl I have ever seen in my 60+ years is in that woods."

Anyone else who was there who remembers comments that stuck with you?

No comments:

Post a Comment